Wednesday 14 October 2015

Nelia Mushayi's story


Nelia Mushayi is a woman from Gukwe village who stays alone as all her children are now married. She manages her egg production business on her own, little did she know that one day she will regret not involving other close family members who stay in the neighborhood.

She had the worst experience one Sunday when she found one of the birds in pieces after her new dog had torn it to pieces and no one was there to look after the birds.

“I was shocked when I found one of the chickens in pieces,” said Mushayi. “I informed field officers who gave me a lecture about the project being a family business. I later asked my daughter who is married but stays close by to come and take care of the birds whenever am not there,” She added.

She added that after involving her daughter in the business she has not had any other problems with the welfare of the birds as they are catered for even when she is not around.

The farming as a family business is seen by most farmers as an ideal model as it reduces the risks of business failure and bird mortality.

Mushayi also mentioned that in the egg production business one should be temperate when it comes to project funds.


When asked what advice she would give new farmers who wanted to start the same project she said, “People should identify market gaps as to where to sell their eggs and be ever networking so that their eggs don’t go bad at home.” “This is a good project as I had no other source of income, but now am my own boss,” added Mushayi.

No comments:

Post a Comment